With 27 days to go on our fundraising campaign where we’ve been successful at raising 54% of our goal. We are very thankful for each of your contributions. Your gift will help document science and craft of forest farming
Please enjoy the conversation author Steve Gabriel had recently with Scott Mann of the Permaculture Podcast.
They cover a lot of ground about the relationship between permaculture and agroforestry and get into many of the specific systems of forest farming, including mushroom production, and use of tree crops for riparian buffers and windbreaks.
Here is an outline of the conversation:
- Role of Academia, Extension, and Research in furthering Permaculture
- Definitions of Agroforestry and Forest Farming vs Forest Gardening
- Discussion of approaches to healthy forest management
- Examples of stacking yields in time and space with an example of Black Walnut/Paw Paw/Grazing polyculture
- Incentives for farmers to adapt Agroforestry practices
- Specifics of mushroom cultivation as a Forest Framing practice
- The vision and potential of Forest Farming
We also discuss the book, our fundraising campaign, and the research we are conducting to track down and tell the stories of forest farmers.
Our thanks to Scott for putting together a great recording, and for all of the friends, colleagues, family, and forest farming enthusiasts that have supported our work. If you are reading this post please consider doing the following:
If you feel able to, consider a donation to support our research. The $50 mark (and above) gets you a signed copy of the book when it’s released – and you’ll be helping us improve the content of the book by enabling us to visit forest farms around the country.
Please share our work with those in your networks who may be interested. Our website is easy to remember: FarmingTheWoods.com. And THANK YOU for your help.
- Forest Farming Vs. Forest Gardening; the difference? (upstatenypermaculture.net)
- New excerpt: Maple Sugaring the Permaculture Way (flxpermaculture.net)